Saturday, November 17, 2012

Off the deep end, I go...

320 pounds. That's right, 320 pounds. It's ironic that my all time low is also an all time high. I've battled my weight since I was 10 years old, and I've yo-yo'ed 50-100 pounds at least 4-5 times over the last 30 years. I have jeans in my closet that range from 32 inch to 46 inch waist. And, every time I get "radical" and do some fad diet or weight loss competition, I find myself gaining all the weight back and then some. Shortly after my 44th birthday, I hit an emotional low as well. This past year has been incredibly challenging for me for various reasons, and I found my self worth at rock bottom. Fortunately, I have a wife who is deft at putting things in perspective for me.

Like most of us, I need a goal or a challenge to keep my focus on my diet and exercise plan. If not, I'll just dip into my enormous "excuse" bag and not get anywhere. So, I set my sights on two: a Mount Rainier summit climb and completing the Ironman Triathlon in Lake Placid. Granted, there are a number of smaller goals that will pave the way for these two, but if you're going to dream, dream big. I also realize that these achievements are not that significant to some, but for a guy weighing 320 who gets winded going up a flight of stairs, they're a big deal. I also chose these goals because I know that once achieved, they will lead to more - and that's exactly what I'll need to prevent the dreaded yo-yo effect.

I'm starting this blog mainly as my own personal journal, but it's my hope that sharing my struggles and triumphs will help someone else along the way. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment